John started working in his grandfather’s car dealership Rush Motors in 1978. John worked in every area of the dealership from 1978 – 1985. The dealership was sold in 1985 so John and his dad started John’s 4×4 Center in Boulder (1986) & Ft Collins (2000). John’s father left the business in 1990 to start another business and John and his wife Terri continued building one of the premier 4×4/Auto shops in Colorado and the Nation.
Over the years, John’s work building custom Jeeps, Toyota’s and 4×4’s that have been featured in several 4×4 & Auto publications. John sold the business in Aug of 2012 but is still very active in the Auto Industry consulting & coaching with other shop owners and currently manages and maintains his own large fleet of vehicles and equipment.
John has been an ASE Technician with L1 & X1 certifications. He also is an experienced ASE Service Advisor, Parts Specialist and holds the esteemed Accredited Automotive Manager – AAM designation.
Industry/Business Current & Past Accomplishments
- ASE Technician with L1 & X1 Certifications
- ASE Service Advisor
- ASE Parts Specialist
- Accredited Automotive Manager – AAM
- Host of Drive Radio AM560 10:00 am – 1:00 pm Saturday & Sunday
- Host of Rush To Reason AM560 3:00-7:00pm Weekdays
- ASA Colorado Vice-President & Board Member
- NAPA AutoCare National Advisory Council Member
- WARN National Advisory Council
- Rancho National Advisory Council
- AAA Shop of the Year 2001
- Auto Inc Web Site of the Year 2001
- ASA Gold Medallion Shop
- ASE Blue Seal Facility
- PACE Pioneer Award (Partners for a Cleaner Environment)
- NAPA/ASE Regional Technician of the Year 2004, 2005 & 2006
- SEMA Member & Current New Products Judge
- Rocky Mountain Automotive Press Association Member
- Owner of Colorado Select AutoCare LLC
- Business Coach for Elite Worldwide
- The Autoanswerman
- Host of “Drive Radio” a consumer call in show on Denver’s AM560 KLZ since 1998
- Host of Rush To Reason on Denver’s AM560 3:00-7:00pm Weekdays
- Land/Building Development Chairman in his Local Church
- Married with 7 children – ages 26 – 36 and 15 Grandchildren
- Enjoy Traveling, Golfing, Hunting, Fishing, Racing and of course Working
- Raced NHRA for 5 years starting with a 12 second Camaro and finishing with a 8 second 27 T Street Roadster
My hobbies have taken a back seat the past few years with all the involvement I have in the Auto Industry, Family and Church. I have missed them but know the sacrifice is worth it. I enjoy spending time with my family and working on improving the image of our industry. It has been my personal goal for a long time to change the image of our industry so we can all have the respect we so deserve.
I also have a personal goal of raising children that know and honor our God. He is the “key” to success and I want them to know that all the accolades in the world will never “make” them who they are.
“Success is a journey, not a destination.”
- Dorsey Johnson from Arvada West in Arvada
- Dennis Brewster from Extreme Automotive in Parker
- Ken Rackley from Tune Tech in Aurora
- Steve Horvath from Jeno’s in Littleton
- Jeff Kiddie from Larry’s Automotive in Westminster
All of our co-hosts have vast experience in all types of Auto & Truck Repair. They assist with calls from listeners and also help with email questions. Each one is dedicated to high-quality customer service and is here each week to help you save money by making your vehicle last as long as possible.
We could not do our show each week without the tremendous support we get from our Producer Larry Unger. Larry along with our engineers Dan & Charlie, make sure we have the “Radio” side our show handled. Larry is the voice you hear when you call into the show. He co-owns Larry’s Automotive 7231 Bradburn Blvd in Westminster CO. You can find Larry, John and all our special guests at www.coloradoselect.org.